Let’s try something a bit different than the usual “cranberry” this holiday. In addition to the traditional orange, we’re suggesting you add dried figs and kick it up with our blackberry balsamic vinegar. This flavorful concoction is more of a compote than a sauce: think beyond turkey. Use it to top a cheesecake or a baked brie. Serve it warm or chilled…heck, even try it on ice cream for the right amount of tart to go with the sweet!
- 1 cup water
- 1 large orange, zested and juiced
- 3/4 cup dried figs, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries (aprox. 10 oz)
- 3 tbsp. Grove Provisions blackberry balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- In large saucepan, bring water to a boil. Remove from heat, stir in orange juice and figs.
- Let stand 15 minutes.
- Return pan to medium-high heat. Add sugar and cinnamon stick; bring to a boil. Add cranberries
- Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes or until cranberries start to burst.
- Remove from heat; stir in vinegar, orange zest and salt.
- Cool completely; transfer to a jar. Refrigerate up to 3 weeks.
- Makes 3 cups.
(Adapted from Alison Ashton)